Friday, September 26, 2008

What's on Tap?

So USC lost to OSU, eh? But I thought that OSU just lost to USC a couple of weeks ago. What's that? Different OSU? Oh ... well at least they lost to the highly ranked one, right? Nope ... they lost to the unranked one. The one that lost to Stanford earlier on. Wow. I guess you just can't trust those 19 year old kids to travel up the coast and take care of business the way everyone expects. It's as though they're not professionals or something. Oh wait ... they're not?

And thus begins the 2008 season of college football. After all of the shocking upsets that we saw last year, I suppose this game last night shouldn't come as too big a surprise. But still, I was somehow blown away when I looked at the TV last night and saw the Trojans down 21-0 at halftime. I have no doubt that more surprises are in store this season with the uprising of the mid-majors (see: Boise State, East Carolina, TCU, and Fresno State all being ranked in the top 25 this week), the competitiveness of inter-conference play every season, and the sheer fact that college football teams are made up of a bunch of teenage (or just barely post-teenage) boys. I think that the unpredicatbility is part of what makes it so much fun to watch.

Speaking of predictions, here I go again with my picks for the NFL this weekend. I'm hoping to replicate my success from last week where I went 13-3!

Bengals over Browns - one of these two teams has to finally get a win this week because they can't both lose. I suppose they could tie. Can I pick that? Nah ... pick the home team.

Titans over Vikings - Tennessee just isn't giving up any points and Minnesota aren't scoring many either. It won't take much offense for the Titans to win this one.

Broncos over Chiefs - While I'm loving Denver's ability to put up points this year, I'm not sold on their D. However, KC is so lousy that it won't hurt the Broncos at all this week.

Saints over 49ers - I'm not totally sold on this one, especially with Shockey out, but I have little faith in the strength of the Niners' wins against a depleted Seahawks team and an inept Lions team.

Jets over Cardinals - In a battle of old QB's, I like Favre in his new home better than Warner travelling across the country.

Bucs over Packers - another game I'm not totally comfortable with, especially since Tampa could be missing their kicker. But I do like the way Tampa stepped up and faced some adversity in beating the Bears last weekend and will give them the benefit of the doubt at home.

Panthers over Falcons - Atlanta is going to have a hard time scoring on a good Carolina defence, especially with their rookie QB. I like the Panthers to bounce back from the loss to Minny.

Jaguars over Texans - This pick would be easy, except that Houston has had Jacksonville's number since they joined the league. However, I think the Jags are finally on track.

Chargers over Raiders - finally, an easy pick! I'll enjoy seeing the Chargers put up a pile more points against the only team with management as inept as Detroit's.

Bills over Rams - Can Buffalo actually wind up 4-0? It's really hard to believe, but I don't see St. Louis stopping them.

Cowboys over Redskins - speaking of unstoppable, do these Cowboys ever look good right now! Let's hope they can stay healthy and keep putting on a great show.

Eagles over Bears - Chicago could be 3-0 right now instead of 1-2 if just a couple more plays went their way. It just looks like one of those kinds of years for them.

Ravens over Steelers - This Monday night game will not be as high flying and offensive as the last two. If you like a ground out battle though, it'll be a great game to watch. I'm picking the Ravens because I think their D can hamper an injured Big Ben even more than Philly did last week.

Enjoy the weekend!

No comments: