Wednesday, September 3, 2008

An Early Forecast

With the NFL starting up on Thursday night this week, I'm forced into making my bold predictions a little earlier than normal this week. With the return of fall and all of the sports goodness that comes with it, I will do my best to return to normal weekend forecasts and wrapups with additional posts in between as interesting issues arise.

At this point in the NFL season it's rather challenging to make any of these picks. The preseason is obviously meaningless since no starters see more than about four series of plays and teams are already hiding their injury reports, so I'm not sure how much faith I have in any of my picks this week. We'll see though ... I could surprise us all with a strong performance!

One interesting note that I found enjoyed in doing some research was the analysis one of SI's writers on the Lions ... "the problem I find with the Lions is they're fully capable of losing to any team on their schedule." ... sadly I see it the same way.

And now on to the picks:

Giants over Redskins - they're a bit banged up on the D-line, but it's hard not to pick the defending champs on opening night at home in any year.

Lions over Falcons - Atlanta could be the worst team in football. I think the Lions' D will actually be able to stop a rookie QB in his first start on a crappy Falcons team.

Seahawks over Bills - Seattle is actually going to be decent this year and will win the division again in the last year for coach Holmgren.

Jaguars over Titans - I have zero faith in Vince Young getting any better and Jacksonville is going to contend this year.

Dolphins over Jets - who will be more motivated? Favre in his Big Apple debut, or Pennington trying to prove that the Jets picked the wrong QB?

Patriots over Chiefs - NE has still only lost one of their last 19 (real) games. I'm picking them until I find out that they're going to amputate Brady's injured foot.

Saints over Bucs - there may be too much turmoil for NO to hang in there this year, what with the hurricanes and all, but I think they'll at least get off on the right foot.

Eagles over Rams - St. Louis is going to stink this year. Like, Lions kind of stink. No running game, no receivers. It's going to be ugly.

Steelers over Texans - Houston is the team that ruined David Carr by having no line for him to learn behind. Not much has changed.

Bengals over Ravens - Baltimore is the other team (besides Atlanta) starting a rookie QB in game one. Never a good sign for a team's fortunes.

Cowboys over Browns - Dallas' receiving corps is beat up, but Cleveland's defensive backs are lousy ... this should be a fair fight.

Chargers over Panthers - SD is going to be real good again. They'll be fun to watch this year.

Cardinals over 49ers - can I pick both teams to lose? Warner is going to be tough to predict this year because he's going to win some and he's going to give some away. I pick him in this one because the opposing QB is J.T. O'Sullivan ... heard of him? Neither has anyone else.

Colts over Bears - hard to believe the Bears were in the Super Bowl recently. They're going to be last in the division this year ... yeah, that's right ... in a division that includes Detroit. That's pretty bad.

Vikings over Packers - Minnesota is going to try to run all over everyone this year. And I don't like Rodgers to pick up where Brett left off.

Broncos over Raiders - Denver isn't going to be great, but you don't have to be to beat the Raiders.

I'm going to miss most of the action Sunday since I'm off to see the Yankees-Mariners game in the afternoon. We bought tickets when we thought the Yankees would be in the midst of another playoff run ... shows how much I know!

No comments: