Monday, February 18, 2008

A look back

My predictions for the weekend actually turned out pretty good this time! I indeed looked in on the Daytona 500 for about 30 seconds Sunday afternoon and quickly flipped away. This morning I watched Sportscentre long enough to see that there weren't any really good wrecks, but it did yield an exciting finish with the Penske team actually racing as a team to overtake Tony Stewart on the last half lap for the win.

In the NHL, my picks were pretty good too as the Leafs mounted a late comeback to beat the Bruins and Vancouver managed to win a penalty filled contest with the Oilers. The only disappointment in the NHL on the weekend was that Detroit somehow managed to lose two more games in a row. Somehow, a six game losing streak has taken hold of them and they only still lead the second best team by 8 points with two games in hand. Yeah ... I don't think the President's Trophy is at risk yet.

Finally my picks for the Northern Trust Open fared remarkably well. Phil pulled off the win when Quinney collapsed under pressure down the stretch and Harrington finished a solid third. My other two picks for good finishes were Chad Campbell and Adam Scott who finished T11 and T14 respectively. When all four of my picks from Thursday finish in the top 15, I've done really well. Additionally, I said that Couples would have trouble holding it together for a full four rounds, but he hung on around par the whole time for a T31 finish. And, the easiest prediction, I guessed that John Daly would fall apart, and true to form he was +10 the last three days after a solid opening round 69. Poor John ... all that talent but still just a country bumpkin who can't get his act together.

No comments: