Friday, February 22, 2008

And Then There Were 8

The World Match Play Championship is on this weekend in Tuscon, Arizona and over the last three days, they've whittled the field from 64 down to 8. In this most unpredictable of tournaments, I will attempt to guess who might prevail this Sunday ... you're gonna be surprised! Tomorrow morning Tiger will tee it up against KJ Choi to try to win the Bobby Jones bracket and advance to the quarterfinals against the winner of Henrik Stenson and Woody Austin. Despite being a higher rank, I think Stenson has gotten through an easier path so far and that Austin is going to beat him tomorrow morning, but then lose 3 and 2 to Tiger in the afternoon. On the opposite side of the draw, look for Angel Cabrera to beat Stewart Cink and Vijay Singh to beat Justin Leonard in the morning and then Vijay to prevail in the semi-final to advance to a great final match with Tiger. And do you think that Tiger will remember that match from several years back at the President's Cup when Vijay had his caddy wear a hat that said "Tiger Who?"? My guess is that Mr. Woods might have a little motivation to kick Vijay's butt again on Sunday. So yeah, I guess it's not a surprise who my pick is going to be to win it all ... Tiger.

The late HNIC game on Saturday is the Vancouver Detroit matchup that I've been waiting for all season. Unfortunately, now the entire Red Wings team seems to be injured, but if the way Vancouver has played lately is any indication, that shouldn't stop Detroit from whipping all over them anyway. I'm not optimistic enough to predict a repeat of the 9-3 win I watched here in Vancouver a couple years back, but I'll put it at 4-2 for the Wings.

Enjoy the weekend! I'll be watching.

No comments: