Friday, October 24, 2008

What to Watch?

Another weekend is upon us and I seek to determine the most exciting events to watch! Will it be baseball? Well, it is the World Series ... but there's threat of a rainout tomorrow and the series can't end this weekend regardless, so I'll have to say no. Hockey? There's an excellent slate of games Saturday night with every team in the league in action! But I still don't think that's it. NFL? There are a couple of intriguing games to watch including whether Europe will see a decent game between the Saints and the Chargers in London, and whether Pittsburgh or NY can show dominance between AFC and NFC leaders. Still though, neither of these games have huge implications for playoffs or much else. What's left? Ah yes ... there it is ... Saturday night at the Horseshoe! Penn State visiting Ohio State. God I hope JoPa's boys can kick some Buckeye tail! There's nothing better than watching OSU lose.

As for those NFL games, I do have some thoughts. Let's see if I can crack double digits for a change. I'm going with a lot of home teams in the hope that that might actually help this week. Here we go ...

Texans over Bengals - I just think Cincinatti is nearly as hopeless as Detroit. Houston is going to look like they're on a roll after this, but their recent opponents provide that deception.

Bucs over Cowboys - This is a bit of a toss up for me, but I think Dallas is spiralling out of control and the injuries and suspensions aren't going to let them get any better quickly enough.

Redskins over Lions - I've stated here before that I think the Leos are going to go 0-16 this year. Detroit's games now become automatic in my picks the rest of the way.

Bills over Dolphins - so yeah, I said I was liking the home teams this week and this is my third road pick in a row. Believe me, I'm getting to the homers.

Patriots over Rams - see? Home team. St. Louis is not good enough to win three in a row, even under the guidance of a new coach.

Chargers over Saints - okay, technically, this is another road pick ... but the game's in England! Aren't they both on the road? I just hope that San Diego brings the team that beat up on the Pats instead of the one who stunk up the joint in Buffalo.

Jets over Chiefs - Herm Edwards has got to feel down about leaving a decent Jets team to coach a lousy KC team with some fourth string QB trying to beat Favre in NY this weekend.

Eagles over Falcons - This one's going to be close. I'm pleasantly surprised watching Matt Ryan flourish this year the way rookies so rarely do. He's a lot of fun to cheer for. But I don't think he's got enough talent around him to win this game.

Panthers over Cardinals - no team from the Pacific or Mountain time zone has won a game outside their time zone yet this year. Don't expect this to be the first.

Ravens over Raiders - don't expect this to be the first either!

Jaguars over Browns - Jacksonville should be better than 3-3 right now. This is a playoff caliber team that needs to get the ball rolling and I think they'll do it at home against a weak Cleveland team.

Steelers over Giants - As discussed above, this should be a really good test of two top teams. With both sitting 5-1, we'll find out how much the Giants' record might have been helped by playing a lot of crappy teams so far and how ready they are to defend their title.

49ers over Seahawks - two crappy teams coming together here. I'm going to take San Fran mostly because they'll be motivated to perform after the coaching shake up.

Titans over Colts - this should also be a really good Monday night game this week. I like the Titans to remain undefeated because their defence could really do damage against a poorly performing Colts offensive line and make it a long night for Captain Pants's boy Peyton.

Enjoy the weekend! I'll be off Sunday to watch a far lesser observed sporting event, the ISU World Cup Short Track Speed Skating event here in Van City. Go Canada!

No comments: