Wednesday, October 8, 2008

How Strange Will This Week's Games Be?

Another week of picking dawns, and it's been pointed out that perhaps I would do better if I just flipped a coin. So, after I've made all of my carefully calculated picks, I will do just that and see how I fare versus fate. I'm not optimistic that this will end well for me.

Bears over Falcons - Is Kyle Orton for real or does he just wish he could beat up on the Lions every week? Tune in to find out.

Ravens over Colts - This is a pick where I could happily just flip a coin. Ultimately, I think the Ravens' D is too good and I think the Colts' two wins have both been fluky. I'll take the more solid team even though they're on the road.

Vikings over Lions - Minnesota's win on Monday night was also very fluky, but A.Pete could run for more than 200 yards against this porous Detroit defense. Look for it to be 21-0 at halftime like every other game the Lions have played.

Saints over Raiders - the Raiders are just as dysfunctional as the Lions. New Orleans is going to come out with something to prove after pissing away the game Monday night.

Jets over Bengals - it should be a high scoring affair and I think Cincy will remain winless, especially having to go on the road and face Brett.

Panthers over Bucs - tough game to pick. Both defenses are playing great and neither offense has stepped up, so it should be low scoring. I picked Carolina because no one knows how the QB carousel will land in Tampa.

Redskins over Rams - St. Louis is the only team in the league that might (and I emphasize the might part) be as bad as Detroit. Washington is going to pound them.

Texans over Dolphins - Houston has seemed cursed so far this year, but with Miami coming off back to back wins over New England and San Diego and having to go on the road, I think this might just be a week they could be caught napping. With Schaub back to health, Houston will take the doughnut out of their win column.

Denver over Jacksonville - I get both the Broncos and Jaguars games wrong every week. Pay no attention to this pick.

Cowboys over Cardinals - and so begins my picking of road teams the rest of the week. Dallas is too good for Arizona and they won't be caught off guard like Buffalo was last week.

Eagles over 49ers - Philly needs this game to keep their season on track. Donovan will have the boys jumpin'.

Packers over Seahawks - Green Bay will bounce back against a Seattle team that isn't nearly as good as everyone expected this year.

Patriots over Chargers - really tough pick after both just got burned by Miami's "Wildcat" offense. I think SD's pass defense looks susceptible and Philip Rivers has been too eratic to make plays to bail the defense out.

Giants over Browns - could I possibly get a Monday Night game right this week? The G-men should prove to be reliable.

Finally, here are the picks from the random number generator ...
Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit, Oakland, Cincinnati, Tampa Bay, St. Louis, Houston, Denver, Arizona, Philadelphia, Green Bay, San Diego, Cleveland.

That's right ... the random number generator picked every winless team. And it will probably do better than me.

No comments: