Wednesday, October 1, 2008

NFL Week 5

I'm uncertain about several of the picks this weekend and I'm not buoyed by my weak performance in week 4. However, with the beginning of the MLB playoffs in the books and Chicago overwhelmed with baseball fever (though they'll certainly be hoping for better outcomes shortly), I'll begin with Chi-town's other important sports event this weekend ... the disheartening destruction of the Detroit Lions (pardon the alliteration).

Bears over Lions - I was very impressed by the goal line stand against Philly (even though I needed Philly to get in for my picks). The Bears won't have to do anything nearly as difficult to beat Detroit.

Packers over Falcons - both have two wins, but Atlanta's were against KC and Detroit, so I don't value those much. Both lost to the Bucs, but Atlanta lost worse. I look for GB to bounce back from a couple of poor games. I'm a little worried about Rodgers' sore shoulder though.

Chargers over Dolphins - SD is a last second play and a bad call by the ref from being 4-0. There's no way the Fins beat them, even in Miami.

Giants over Seahawks - it's almost too easy picking the better team at home with the other guys flying across the country.

Eagles over Redskins - this is a tough pick to me. Philly should have won last week but as stated above, couldn't punch it in on three tries from the goal line. Washington seems to be pulling it together after a bad first week. But injuries will play a role and Philly is getting healthier while Washington is going the other way.

Panthers over Chiefs - KC's win was a one off. Won't happen two weeks in a row ... especially not against a great defensive team.

Titans over Ravens - I hate picking so many road teams, but I just can't overlook how well the Titans' defense is playing. Baltimore's D almost won them the Monday-nighter though. I think I'll take the team with an extra day of rest.

Colts over Texans - in Peyton I trust. Off the bye week Indy might get some of those banged up bodies back and they should certainly be a better team than Houston.

Bucs over Broncos - another tough one and I'm going to go with the road upset because defense wins ball games. Denver's record is inflated and I don't see them continuing to win with offense alone.

Cowboys over Bengals - this Cincy team is exceptionally bad. Dallas struggled with the game planning last weekend, but they would be hard pressed to blow it against the Bengals.

Cardinals over Bills - I would really like to pick Buffalo to be 5-0, but I still just can't believe in them. Look for them to lose a game they shouldn't this week and come back to the division a little bit.

Patriots over 49ers - I'm nervous about this pick too. However, Bellichick probably tried to hang himself after the colosal failures against the Dolphins and then he had extra time through the bye week to prepare for this one. The Pats should walk away from SF with the win.

Jaguars over Steelers - Pittsburgh was lucky to win Monday night (14 points in one bad minute by Baltimore sure helped them out) and I don't see them escaping what will be a very physical game against Jacksonville on short rest with the injuries they suffered.

Saints over Vikings - this will be another high scoring Monday Nighter if the Saints hold to form. I like them to win a shootout as Drew Brees continues to put up the most yards in the league this year.

No comments: