Monday, January 14, 2008

What a Great Weekend!

What an interesting weekend it was! From the blizzard at Lambeau to Upset Sunday, there was lots of exciting playoff football and, thanks to the magic of the PVR, I could watch every snap in a mere few hours without suffering through commercials or yammering commentators. Add to that a bunch of time spent relaxing with friends and it was a heck of a weekend here in Vancouver!

While I never managed to get my picks written down here on Friday, I'm pleased to say that my predictions were three for four. My only miss was on the Colts who inexplicably managed to blow piles of scoring chances by turning the ball over and didn't take advantage of some terribly lopsided officiating that was in their favour. How on earth Billy Volek managed to outplay Peyton Manning is beyond me, but I guess that's why they play the games. My favourite game of the weekend was the one in Green Bay where the Packers managed to spot the Seahawks 14 points and then proceed to completely dismantle the birds of the Northwest for the final 55 minutes of the game. Watching Brett Favre have so much fun out in the snow was a true pleasure and I hope that he can do even more of it this coming Sunday against the Giants.

In another piece of intriguing sports news this morning, the NCAA has almost unanimously approved the admission of Canadian universities into division II. The schools will still have to apply for admission by June of this year, but it sounds like there will finally be opportunities for Canadian kids to get into schools on athletic scholarships without having to head south of the border. You can take a look at the report in the Globe and Mail here.

No comments: